Dear Valued Checkmate Client:
As we get close to the end of the year we are writing to let you know what our Holiday Schedule will be and some things to keep in mind to help make the year end process less stressful.
All of us at Checkmate wish you a happy holiday season and a prosperous new year!
Our office will be closed on Wednesday, December 25th and Thursday, December 26th for Christmas and Wednesday, January 1st for New Year's Day. In addition, we will be closing our office at 2 pm on Tuesday, December 24th.
Checkmate's Office Phones
Our office closes for lunch from 12:30 to 1:00 pm each day. We close our office so that our staff can have an uninterrupted period of time to eat lunch and take a break. In order to give our staff time to finish up their morning tasks and get ready for the afternoon we turn on our voice mail system at 12:15 and turn it off at 1:15. During this time (except the lunch ½ hour) you can reach anyone on staff by selecting their extension. In addition, if you need to contact us in an emergency situation when our office is closed you can call Becky's cell phone (603)-545-4280.
2014 Payroll Calendar
If you would like a calendar showing your scheduled payrolls for 2014 please let your Customer Service Rep. know.
Special payroll packaging during the holidays
If you need any special payroll packaging (ie. paychecks sent to one address and reports sent to another) please let us know as soon as possible.
Will you be changing your office hours during the holidays?
If you are changing office hours during the holidays please let us know so that we can modify your scheduled payroll delivery accordingly.
Changing your payday during the holidays?
If your payday falls on a legal holiday we will, in accordance with the labor laws, automatically change your payday to the preceding business day.
If you are planning to change your payday during the holidays for any other reason please let us know as soon as possible, so we can schedule accordingly.
CHRISTMAS OR YEAR END BONUSES AND ADJUSTMENTS:
Do you plan to issue Christmas or Year-End bonus checks? If so, please complete and return a bonus checklist. Completion of this checklist helps insure that we process your bonuses the way that you want. A copy of this checklist is on our website at;
Please notify us as soon as possible if you are planning to run a separate bonus payroll.
Are there any payroll adjustments you need to notify us of prior to your last scheduled payroll of 2013? If so, please complete and return a Payroll Adjustments Checklist. A copy of this checklist is on our website at:
The following are some common examples of payroll adjustments:
- Voided checks
- Manual paychecks written by you and not yet reported to Checkmate
- Group Term Life Insurance coverage over $50,000
- Personal use of a company vehicle
- Third-Party Sick Pay benefits
- Non-Cash compensation
- If you are taxed as an S-Corp, providing Health Insurance benefits to employee shareholders, the annual premium paid by the company must be included on the employee shareholders W-2.
- If you offer your employees a pension plan that does not run through your payroll please let us know.
- IF ANY ADJUSTMENTS/CHANGES ARE REQUIRED AFTER WE RUN YOUR LAST PAYROLL OF 2013 ADDITIONAL FEES WILL BE CHARGED.
W-2 (Statement of Earnings)
Employers must provide their employees with a completed W-2 by January 31, 2014.
- Checkmate will start the yearend process as soon as we process your last payroll for the year. We must have any changes with your last scheduled payroll of the year. If you need more time, please let us know and we will adjust accordingly. If you do not notify us of these changes and yearend must be reprocessed, an additional processing fee will be charged.
- We will begin distributing W-2's to our clients by January 13, 2014.
- Please verify addresses for current and terminated employees. If you are using online software you can run an employee W-2 and Social Security verification report otherwise a master list is available for $5.50.
- Verify Social Security numbers. If you question the validity of an employee's Social Security number, please visit the following website:
This is the Social Security Number Verification Service website. Once registered you can easily do an on-line verification of your employee's Social Security Number.
- If Form W-2 does not contain the correct name and Social Security Number, the Internal Revenue Code provides that the employer may be penalized up to $50 for each incorrect Form W-2.
- Encourage your employees to hold onto their W-2s. Due to the processing time involved, there is a $12 charge to re-issue a lost W-2. You can pass this charge on to your employees. We will provide you with a form for the employee to fill out in the event that they need a W-2 reissued. Please note: our Saas Online clients (and their employees) have access to reprint W-2s from their online website at no additional cost.
W-4 (Employees Withholding)
IRS regulations require employers to remind employees to file an amended Form W-4 if their filing status, exemption allowances or exempt status has changed since their last filing of Form W-4. This notice must be provided by December 1st of each year. A new W-4 is not required if the employee status does not change.
Any employee claiming exempt, must file a new W-4 for 2014 to retain their exempt status. If a new W-4 is not received by February 15, 2014, you must switch the employee's withholding to Single/Zero. Please let us know if this status needs to be changed, we will not automatically do this for you.
Reporting of Employer Provided Health Care Coverage on Form W-2
Employers that issued more than 250 W-2 forms in 2012 will be required to report health care coverage in Box 12 of the 2013 Form W-2 using code DD.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Checkmate Workforce Management Solutions